Monday, January 18, 2010

Sobriety and Reflections

Its been 365 days since I have taken, drank or smoked anything to alter my consciousness. I was having a really hard time living before I got sober but there are some songs that have really helped me when I felt down.
Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna Come : when I kicked a pretty serious opiate habit I alternated between Ralph Ellison's invisible man on tape - Confederacy of Dunces - Sam Cooke's The Man and His Music and Ken Burn's civil war documentary from my sick bed in destroyed Seattle apartment. I had just told my parents I had a drug problem, and new I would soon be on my way home. A Change Is Gonna Come brought my mood out from under the doom rock. The song's lyrics compelled resounded with me and brought me a glimmer of hope when I was as sick as I had ever been. Well the change did come and I still listen to Sam Cooke all of the time.
Passion Pit - Better Things. A girl I love told me to give passion pit a shot when I had been sober a little while. Passion Pit reminds me of her, and reminds me how fucking lucky I am to have her as a part of my life. I am also damn grateful for passion pit's Cuddle Fuddle EP that is just inspirational. Passion Pit still gets me off my ass.
Holy Fuck - Lovely Allen - this instrumental track has bumped me out of shitty moods over and over and over again. Its morning music, and it helped me move from depression to felicity. When I hadn't slept lovely allen was my first cup of coffee and an extra two hours of sleep.
Andrew Jackson Jihad - Rejoice : frantic acoustic folk pump about being young and fucked up in the head. The whole People Who Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People In The World Album made it okay for me to be alone and made me think about how lucky I am to live in a place like "California is a garden of Eden A paradise to live in or see but believe it or not you will find it so hot if you aint got that dough re mi" great woody guthrie rip. Just a prime cut of music.

Music is a big part of my happiness today - and over the past year it has been so fucking good to me. I have gotten much more in to music this year than I did when I was using and getting loaded. What a gift.THANKS GOD AND THANK GOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment