Sunday, January 17, 2010

First Post 1/17/10. Bittersweet Week


For a few months I have been thinking about making a blog and thinking "Writing about stuff you like seems really vain, and you self are more vain than vanity fair." So I made a blog. This week has been about as bittersweet as I can imagine a week being. Contra finally came out (sweet!) Jay Reatard Died (super fucking bitter) and Owen Pallett is not final fantasy any longer, instead he is Owen Pallett and his new album Heartland dropped this weak (SWEET). Contra is about as poptacular as I could imagine, and I watched a semi indie band shoot to the top of the itunes store's most purchased list. Maybe thats a sign that its time to abandon accessible music before my nephew, sister and mother are all playing it in there cars and homes so I can no longer tolerate it. Jay Reatard was introduced to me this summer, and I clung on to his young punk sound - I am a recovering dope fiend and the frantic and sharp fast lyrics and power punk guitar really caught my ear and my fancy. I suspect that the alchohol and drugs got Jay, and that sucks. I hope that some of my friends out there will be sobered by the sobering news so they don't have to die at 29. Heartland is a phenomenally textured cd with more pop appeal than some of the stuff Pallett did as Final Fantasy. I really cant get enough of it right now. I need to note that I am afraid of becoming a pitchfork zombie because that would/will suck. here are some links to videos of all three artists.
Owen Pallett - Lewis Takes off His Shirt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7WxTP3ger8
Vampire Weekend - Giving up the Gun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJQpvGYJnYw
Jay Reatard - It Aint Gonna Save Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG65eqfg6bc



No comments:

Post a Comment