Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fear death by water - but put on some soothing music.

What of the rain I ask myself. California rain is different from Seattle rain because here in so call water falling from the sky is clearly a traumatizing catastrophic event. Yesterday my girlfriend and I were paralyzed by fear while traveling north on the 5 freeway from San Diego - desperately in need of some soothing/motivating/anxiety quelling music. Well I survived thanks to my lady's driving and I will be making arts and crafts in the safety of my own cave all day.

Leonard Cohen - Sisters of Mercy - I found the beautiful acoustic guitar, bell percussion and Leonard's sweet sweet deep enunciating voice deeply soothing. Especially when the song is about some "not departed" Sisters who are there to make it right. It was a perfect song for the horrifying endeavor of moist freeway travel in california.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfAyWq3q01I

Creedence Clearwater Revival- Have You Ever Seen the Rain - I know a few people who would say this is "obvi" a touchstone for rain music. Well they are right. I fucking love Creedence. John Fogerty belts so damn hard that I cant stop myself from feebly rocking out the moment John asks that question. The answer is that yes John Fogerty I have definitely seen the rain coming down on a well - rainy day. This song pumped me full of life when death by freeway seemed eminent. Thanks Creedence you dirty dirty southern rockers you.
(to see just how dirty they are check out the link)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS9_ipu9GKw

Beirut - No Dice - Nothing soothes my fragile psyche like a Zach Condon instrumental track. I always sing along with the instrumental - and I am not so talented as a one man synth so I always miss the point at which this song's awesome melody kicks in. This one took my mind off of impending doom and took me on a trip through a synthpopindie dream forest jungle desert ice cap in imagination land.
youtube listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1YsGKgHXc

These were all on the playlist in the car yesterday and they really helped both my girlfriend and I through the trauma.
on another note.
A listen to the Panda Bear live @ HAU 15-01-2010 Recording is really worth your while.

There is a new XX video I havent watched yet but will.






No comments:

Post a Comment